While online shopping presents a world of great experiences, it has also given rise to new security risks. Builders is committed to helping you stay safe online and we’ve put together some points you should always keep in mind:
- Make sure the URL is secure by checking if it starts with https:// - the “s” after “http” shows you that it's a secure site. Some browsers will also indicate a secure site by having a lock icon appear before the URL. If you’re unsure, try searching for the company and website online to see if there have been any complaints or reports of scams.
- Ensure you have an updated anti-virus programme installed, this will protect your device against any malicious sites and will alert you before allowing you to access such sites.
- Be careful of phishing scams. Don’t click on links in suspicious mails or on suspicious sites – particularly when it requires you to enter any personal details. If you’re unsure of the source of mails or the site, be sure to verify this with the Customer Contact Centre instead.
- When signing-up for an account, choose a strong password that combines uppercase and lowercase letters, at least one digit and a special character such as, “!” “#” $” etc. Avoid birthdays and easy combinations such as, “1234” or “0000”
- When using your credit card for online shopping, paying your Trade Account or topping up your Deposit Account, Builders, through PayU, will use 3D Secure as an additional security measure should your issuing bank supports it.
- 3D Secure will authenticate your personal details and will authorise payment for online shopping. If your issuing bank supports 3D Secure but you have not activated it, you need to please contact your bank to activate it.